Thursday, October 22, 2009

Laughter

Ecclesiastes 3:1 is Solomon’s general observations. You might of have heard it, “A Time for Everything”. In verse 4A, it states: “a time to weep and a time to laugh” These past several months, I have been weeping over the lost of my job as a teacher and the fact that I have not been able to find another teaching position. Yes, I am doing everything that I been told to do…but my phone never rings. So I have been weeping, but now I am celebrating… for now it is time to laugh!

Can you imagine God laughing? I am sure He laughs all the time, especially when we tell Him what we are going to do. There is a church on Hwy 301 north of Bushnell, Fl whose side has a mural painting of Jesus laughing. David and I drive this road on our way to visit our mothers. When I see this mural it puts a smile on my face and reminds me it is ok to laugh. It has been a long time since I had a good laugh, I have been too busy weeping over my losses and woes. Then I read an e-mail from my sister, Marilyn.


You need to picture this in your mind – it will give you a good laugh also. It was about 10pm and I was sitting on the couch with my lab top and my ear phones in. David was sitting in his easy chair, watching TV, apparently slowly drifting off to sleep. As I was watching this video that Marilyn sent me, “ Michael Jackson ghost has been spotted at Neverland news report,” I was thinking I already seen this and was tempted to close the video down but I did not.

Shortly, I noticed the remote control went flying across the room. David’s feet were kicking out from the chair, like he was trying to get out of the chair in a hurry! He was doing his scared scream as well. I thought someone was breaking in the house. Apparently, without me realizing it, I had screamed at what jumped out at me in the end of this e-mail and did not realize that I was screaming. When I took my ear phones off, David questioned “What the heck were you screaming about?” His expression was priceless! I wish I had a video camera on – we would have won America’s Funniest Videos. I was no longer screaming but laughing so hard that I had tears coming down my face. As I am typing this I am still laughing; it was a sight to see!


Since then, I have found that I am not longer weeping over not having a job. I am enjoying not working and the pressures of being a teacher. I am enjoying cleaning the house, shopping for bargains, teaching adults about couponing, enjoying seeing what God is doing with this blog, and just enjoying being able to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

Many people allow their life problems to get in their way of laughing. They allow their problems with kids, stress at work, money or even marriage problems to prevent them from laughing. When we find ourselves in the mist of woes, then we need to stop weeping, praise the Lord for what we are going through and start laughing. Sure, life woes can hurt and make us depressed, but when we laugh something inside of us changes. I believe that laughter is good for the soul.


I hope that I caused you to laugh out loud today. Did it make you feel better? I am amazed at how different I feel now that I have laughed.

May God bless you with laughter this week!
Blessings
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment